06 June 2011

walls o' letters

*
after seeing this freakygorgeous (real word) wall of letters on this blog a few months ago, i knew i had, had, had to make a set for thebelfry. by the way, how perfect is it that her letter k is covered in letters? did she somehow know that not only does kat begin with k, kat loves letters? most likely so.


research led me to other walls of letters:

this one is equally freakygorgeous. i want that button on my wall! 
a ready-made one on etsy.

& an alphabet poster of the most clever sort.

also, i have always had a fondness for edward gorey's alphabet, but i think, were i to have a giant version on my wall, people would stop coming to visit.

*
so, it has been a few months since i first discovered the original wall of letters. would you like to know how far into the alphabet i am? my sweet one & only, i would like to tell you that i am nearly done. heck i would like to tell you i am only a few letters in. alas, i have not even begun. a certain elfling has made all but the smallest of projects impossible. 

it occurred to me that i could manage one letter, were i to work on it a few minutes a day. but what letter? sadly, i thought about that for more time than i am willing to admit. then it hit me! how could i have not thought of it right away?! what symbol do i love more than all of the letters combined? the ampersand!!! & (see?) yesterday marked the start of the great ampersand project of 2011. behold the beginning (cue dramatic music):


excuse the dark photo, the skies are quite unspring-like today. i drew the ampersand onto that 3-d poster board. i don't know what it is actually called, but it's about a 1/4in thick, & large. when cut out, & covered in a few layers of paper, the ampersand won't look so wonky. trust me.

i plan to cover the entire thing in pages from my high school french/english dictionary. my plan had been to do so with a regular dictionary, so i could have definitions showing, but i was unable to find one with lovely yellowing pages.


i'm not sure why this book's pages are so yellowed - i am not that old. whatever.

as i complete each step in this project, i'll share the photos with you. it could take some time, as elfling is quite pesky these days, but i promise not to forget. until then - have a lovely day!

~peace.


4 comments:

bhán said...

I love Edward Gorey's Gashlycrumb Tinies! Have you seen Tom Gauld's noisy alphabet?

http://www.tomgauld.com/index.php?/portfolio/noisy-alphabet/

kat (kats in the belfry) said...

bhan, no i hadn't - thank you! it is so darn cute.

Melissa said...

Thank you for your email! I'm glad my wall inspired you. :)

I, too, love the ampersand. I searched for one, but not diligently enough. Kudos to you for making your own! I think I need to keep looking and feature it by itself in all its ampersandish goodness.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

kat (kats in the belfry) said...

melissa, you are quite welcome! i hope you pop back around to see the finish, in all its ampersandish glory.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...